I absolutely love ice cream, but I have to be in the mood for it. And lately, boy have I been in the mood! So, I’ve been searching for the perfect paleo ice cream recipe and I found a great one!
All in all? BINGO! The sourness from the lemons balances out nicely with the sweetness from the other fruit. And it’s paleo-friendly!
· 6 very ripe bananas
· 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
· zest of two lemons (original recipe calls for four, but I toned down the lemon flavor a bit)
· ½ cup of honey or maple syrup
· 1 pinch of salt
· ¼ cup of virgin coconut oil, melted (or refined if you want no coconut flavor)
· 1 cup of blueberries
1. Put the bananas, vanilla, lemon, honey, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. If making in a food processor instead, process the bananas first.
2. Drizzle in the melted coconut oil.
3. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions. This does not freeze as hard as regular ice cream, but it is done when it is slightly ice-y. Mine took 20 minutes.
4. Stir in the blueberries and spread into a storage container. Freeze for at least four hours before serving.